Wednesday, December 5, 2012

She's Already Smarter Than I Am

Mia is smart, maybe even gifted. I don't know, I don't want to be that parent - the one who proclaims her smart kid as gifted and in turn jinxes the child into mainstream classes all the way through school. That's nothing to brag about, right?

Sidenote: I can't listen to anyone refer to their child as gifted. It makes me think of this every single time. And double sidenote: I was never offered a spot in AP classes in school. Something about not fully applying myself...

Sister got her very first Book It voucher on Monday. It should've been her second voucher, but someone lost her October form after it filled up, so there was no free personal pan pizza to be had. Yes, that someone was me, and yes, Mia was super pissed at me because of it!

Anywho... Sis comes home with her form on Monday and this is a big deal when you're seven - the business of getting free pizza. As luck would have it, I'd had a pretty amazing day too, so it was only appropriate that we went out to celebrate. Plus, I've never been one to turn down pizza of any kind (even in Hot Pocket form).


High on the promise of a bright future and Canadian bacon, Mia waltzed in to Pizza Hut like she owned the place. She struts over to the register and presents her voucher, "I read all of my books for November, so I  got this Book It form and now I get free pizza!"

My oldest did get her free pizza, plus the cheese sticks and root beer that were obviously needed to complete the meal.

A little snippet of conversation from our meal: 

MIA: We're learning about fractions in class!

GRANNY: You are? Mommy did you know that?

ME: No. Isn't that kind of young to do fractions? Second grade?

MIA: Uh, no. I'm seven, Mommy!

ME: Well, I'm almost 30 and I still can't do fractions. Are you learning percentages yet? I'm really bad at those!

MIA: No. Maybe someday though. Hey! Guess what! I read a book about fractions for fun the other day!

GRANNY: Ooooh fun! (to Mia) What are you going to do when she's in high school and needs help? (to me)

ME: Pray that times haven't changed and the stoners are still really good at math and willing to let her copy their homework.






8 comments:

  1. I love that she geeks out on everything. I'd bet money she Wiki's it too! She is the queen of Wikipedia, just for fun....you know! In all seriousness I couldn't be more proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! As a homeschooling mom,I was petrified of fractions and percents,but now am the master...wish I knew this when I needed it in school haha...now we're in algebra and I'm thinking of running away and joining the circus... Or committing myself....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go MIA!
    Aunt Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. On a daily basis, I'm thankful when I remember that my phone has a calculator! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also suck at fractions; I'm just not mathey! I was helping my Kindergartner last night with her "what comes next" homework and apparently I stink at that too!

    I know you're proud of your girl! You have good reason to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found your blog through We Band of Mothers.I am deliriously tired, but was reading through some of my favorite blogs, and read your comment on Mariannes latest post. Through the half closed/delirium eyes I was able to chuckle at your comment about the 'Yule Log' gift ;) I agree with Marianne that I won't be putting that on my Santa List. But, it did cause me to jump over to your blog. New follower here. I read through a few of your posts and can relate to many, but will have to be a bit more awake to comment.
    Stoner kids - how well their Spicoli brains worked.......;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stoners were good at math??? How did I not know this?

    Oh yeah. AP classes. Sorry about that. I applied myself. And high school sucked.

    Yay! Mia! I have a charming boy for her to meet one day (after they finish their graduate studies).

    Nice to see J.R. here! You're gonna LOVE her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always crack me up!!! GREAT BLOG POST LIKE ALWAYS!!! =) =)

    ReplyDelete

Look at you, leaving a comment on the ole blog! Awww!