Saturday, February 18, 2012

Passion For Fashion

Once upon a time, there was a little girl with curly light brown hair. She was glamorous, to say the least, and had a strong preference for skirts instead of jeans. From a young age, she knew in her heart of hearts that she would grow up to become a fashion designer and create clothes for princesses and movie stars.

About, eh, 10 years later, I failed my first sewing project in Home Ec class, and decided that maybe I would be better off creating with my mind instead of my hands...

For those of you who didn't know, New York's Mercedes Benz Fashion Week ended Thursday with the presentation of the Fall 2012 collections. I know that not everyone gets heart palpitations over beautiful dresses that we'll never have the opportunity to wear in real life, but there's still a big part of me who fantasizes about glamming it up on the red carpet somewhere.

Who else likes to play dress up? Mia and Marlee - and they let me style them today in the a few of the big trends from the runways of NYC.

(All MBFW photos by Getty Images. All Mia/Marlee photos by Mommy)

Winter Whites at J. Mendel and Calvin Klein
Winter White Marlee wears a rosy cheek. Mia, in Black on Black with a dramatic eye.
Black on Black at Anna Sui and Jill Stuart
A Taste of the Far East on Mia and at the Venexiana show.
Fur accents at Custo Barcelona and Michael Kors. Faux raccoon (and pizza) on my kid.
Mia has a moment of Bohemian Rhapsody, as does the model at Nicole Miller.
Marlee and a model at the Betsey Johnson show sport bright colors and defined brows.

And because everyone knows that you save the gowns for the finale, may I present Big Sis in liquid gold.

Golden Goddesses in Tadashi Shoji, our old curtains, and Reem Acra

The girls had just as much fun doing this as I did putting our looks together, aside from Marlee's hissy fit when I told her she couldn't eat a purple popsicle in the all white outfit!

"Fashion fades, only style remains the same." - Coco Chanel

What is the one trend that you refuse to let die? 

Mine is leopard print because it's both classic and outrageous - the ultimate neutral.

6 comments:

  1. lmao.. love it. I loved Marlee rocking a Betsy Johnson inspired look! Too funny. Jenn, hit the thrift stores and make them stuff from old prom dresses.. have a little fashion show or red carpet moment for them for a birthday. I know you could totally do it! Keep bringin' it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are the prettiest models ever! You are way better at the fashion shows, than I was. (not sure if you remember the princess hat I made for you? :(

    I love all of yours....however Mia looks so grown up in some of them. Just by the smiles you can tell it was a blast! Good job Mommy, you rocked the GC RUNWAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pic of Ding Dong in her brights too! Fierce!!!

    And my sweet MiMi - she really wanted to wear those curtains to the father/daughter dance, even though the 'skirt' was clasped with a bag clamp!

    So fun! We're going to have to do this again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHAHA! I LOVE this!! I'm especially digging the 'coon hat! I'm tweeting you a picture after I'm done here that you should appreciate! I love that you did this with them! I couldn't give 2 flips about fashion week but this inspires me for the Oscars!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me just say I can not wait until Ava is old enough to do this! LOL But, I will say she already has a passion for high heels, bags, nail polish & hair accessories.

    The girls, as always, looked adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I have a pair of leopard print pants that I can't part with but have never worn outside my house because...well, I just can't. They look awesome on me and fit great, which is why I keep them. It's my dirty little secret...wow, that was surprisingly cathartic;)

    ReplyDelete

Look at you, leaving a comment on the ole blog! Awww!