Saturday, December 31, 2011

Auld Lang Syne

Confession: I get choked up every time I hear "Auld Lang Syne".

I don't know why it has that effect on me, but it has for years now. It's kind of an all-purpose song meant to acknowledge both beginnings and endings, but doesn't every new beginning come from some other beginning's end? (I didn't come up with that last part. It's a lyric from a song my husband hates! So true though.)

While people are out celebrating tonight, I wonder what they'll toast to at midnight? Will they revel in the blessings the year brought, or is it a farewell to the hardships of the last 365 days? 

I, for one, am going to celebrate tonight as the official end of 2011. 

We've struggled emotionally, with stress and concern for the ones we love. We've struggled financially, due to our growing family and the debts that come along with providing for our children. We've struggled professionally, sometimes it's hard to sit back and watch when things unexpectedly take a turn for the worse. We've struggled to not only maintain, but also to improve, in relationships as well as material possessions.

You know what though? I can't say that it was the worst year of my life. In all honesty, I can't pinpoint a single year in all of my 28 that I would label as the worst year of my life. I have bad days, but I refuse to have a bad year.

The most solid piece of advice that I have ever received is to start each day anew. You have to make a conscious effort to make each day a good day, or the bad days will consume you. Whatever it is, face it, and then get over it. 

We all deserve to be happy today, and every day after. 

Whether you celebrate an end or a beginning tonight, cheers, and best wishes.



 

4 comments:

  1. Love as always. Happy New Years to the Palis family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jackie! Happy New Year to you guys too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too cry every time I hear "Auld Lang Syne". As the years pass by, I choose to celebrate the journey of those I love, rather than dwell on my life. Your journey brings me tears of joy...I can hardly wait to see where 2012 takes you! love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful farewell note about the ending year and the coming of the new. Blessing to you are your family for this coming year!

    ReplyDelete

Look at you, leaving a comment on the ole blog! Awww!